Sunday 6 January 2013

Not so new beginnings... 

Every year how to celebrate 'New Year' seems to be topical and of great importance for most.. and I usually, get dragged into believing it is an event worth celebrating despite my heartfelt hate of the meaning of New Years Eve. A new beginning is sold as a chance to 'right the wrongs' of the previous year as if to suggest last year was a wash out and a chance to stage a miraculous development into a thinner, healthier, more successful version of yourself. How can we begin to become a thinner version of ourselves when we still haven't drunk the cupboards dry of all the odd bottles and haven't even opened all the Christmas biscuits from various persons who clearly do not know you that well "Dark Chocolate... Thank you!" Euggh. 

What I hate about new year and in particular new years resolutions the most, I think, is the rather ungrateful way in which we assess our last year on the planet as if to insist we could have achieved so much more had we have just be thinner and healthier etc etc. With some exception, I'd say 2012 was a bloody good year for me. I worked as hard as I could, spent as much time with my loved ones as I could, got the most out of limited money including treating myself frequently, went on holiday (twice), went to the Olympics and managed to finish the year surrounded by the people I love the most. How can I improve on that? 

Well obviously this year should be something of a transition of sorts for me and 2013 could turn into something of a big year.. but aren't they all? No one can really say they stood still for 2012 and even if they did there is a big reason to be pleased with that.. They didn't lose anyone, didn't make any big risks that didn't pay of, didn't go for a dramatic hair cut and spend 6 months in hats, didn't get ill or flooded out of their home or sent to war etc etc.. This New Year business is really quite morbid you know. 

and so my new years resolution is.. more of the same please. No one really likes change. 

1 comment:

  1. I know exactly how you feel, I had a sadly not wonderful 2012 but the entire year on this planet wasn't dreadful, so much happened that we should be grateful for! I was not sad to see the back of the 2012, but I'm still sure glad the year in its entirety happened. For everything we lose, we gain something surely? We lost Vanns, we gained Jarvis, we lost Nan, we gained Rebecca, the gains happened in 2012 as well as the losses. I hate the way people feel really bad to say they had a good year around me because mine wasn't perfect, well I'd like to scream from the rooftops, open your eyes, stop crouching under a desk... We survived 2012, we're still here, be amazed and bluddy thankful!! xxx

    ReplyDelete